A former NBC News producer who was working with Ronan Farrow on the reporter’s investigation of alleged sexual misconduct by Harvey Weinstein claimed Thursday that an order to stop pursuing the bombshell story came from “the very highest levels at NBC.”
In a statement to Fox News, Rich McHugh, who left the network’s investigative unit earlier this month, said the order came as he and Farrow were preparing to travel to Los Angeles to interview a woman “with a credible allegation of rape” against the now-disgraced movie producer.
“I was told not to do the interview and ordered to stand down, thus effectively killing the story,” McHugh said. “That was unethical, and a massive breach of journalistic integrity.
“Is there anyone in the journalistic community who actually believes NBC didn’t breach its journalistic duty to continue reporting this story?” McHugh added. “Something else must have been going on. ”